Wednesday, September 19, 2012




Peak


 Over the summer I read the book Peak by Roland Smith. Peak is about this boy named Peak and his passion for climbing. Peak lives in New York City which of course doesn't have any mountains but that didn't stop him from climbing.In the beginning or the book Peak climbs a skyscraper and gets arrested. Peak has only one choice to stop from going to jail and that is to go live with his father in Thailand. Through out this book Peaks gets a better relationships with the people he loves and the people he's just getting to know.
       One relationship that becomes stronger through out the book Peak is the relationship between Peak and his stepfather, Rolf. Peak never really hated Rolf he just wasn't very close to him. For example in the book Peak it says "Rolph made my mom laugh and I liked him for that, but aside from that we didn't have much in common. I guess I resented him for horning in on the simple life we had made in the wilderness." As you can see Peak just doesn't really know Rolf not all that well and that's what usually leads to a not very strong relationship. 
       Rolf and Peaks relationship changes after Rolf sends Peak this letter when Peak was out climbing Mount Everest. The letter said "Hang in there, Peak. I miss you, want you home.  Love, Rolf." This showed Peak that Rolf was trying to be a good dad to him unlike Josh (his birth father)and it really meant a lot to Peak. For example in the book Peak it says "Not 'we'. I miss you. want you home. With these two sentences he had done more then Josh have ever done or ever could."
       In conclusion the relationship Peak wanted most was the relationship with Josh but in the end he got something more important. Peak doesn't live with Josh so he doesn't have to like him, but he does live with Rolf and in the end the did finally get a better relationship. And so in like every good book this book ends in a happily ever after and the characters relationship end up stronger then ever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment